Document Management Features Offered in BizPortals 365 – a SharePoint based Intranet
Do you ever wonder how many paper-based documents are created in your organization every day? Without a digital document management system, you will have a mountain of files and run out of office space to store these documents. A research conducted by Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers) has estimated that there are over 4 trillion documents in the U.S. alone and the numbers are growing at a rate of 22% per year.
Why a Document Management System is a Must-Have?
A document management system on SharePoint provides an automated way of capturing, organizing, tagging, digitizing, storing, accessing, approving and completing the documents involved in your business. Considering security, a cloud-based document management system enables a secure, central online repository of documents, where the files can be easily searched, retrieved and shared in a few clicks. These features of a SharePoint DMS translate to better productivity, efficiency and reduced cost.
In addition to productivity and efficiency factors, a document management system, is meant to restructure the entire process so that there are no loopholes, no lost or missing documents, no out-of-reach documents, and no unsecured documents. With the integration of the user permission system, authorized personnel can access the information in the event the “owner” of the document is unavailable. A DMS on SharePoint also eliminates the need to send documents back and forth via email for review and approval, which reduces email clutter and confusion.
So, what features should a DMS have?
The market is overloaded with various document management solutions and each one’s feature-set may differ slightly which makes it difficult for businesses to choose one that is a perfect fit. Most businesses are shifting towards solutions that have a proven track record, like a DMS based on Microsoft SharePoint, as it is a highly secure, user-friendly, hassle-free system and fulfills customized business needs.
The features of a Document Management System simply ensure that the job of employees gets easier resulting in higher productivity, while saving time and money for the company. It is a helpful tool that manages and organizes documents throughout their content lifecycle, from creation to archival. If this content is not managed properly, it can be very difficult to track the work progress and happenings in the organization. The document management in SharePoint works to achieve specific business goals.
A DMS on SharePoint offers you the ability to do the following:
- Store your documents easily and quickly – drag and drop, as well as bulk transfer capabilities
- Organize your documents without any hassles – in document libraries and folders
- Always find the most updated copy of a document
- Simplified and automated document approval process
- Multiple users can edit the documents/files simultaneously
- Set user permissions at the folder or file level
- Easy collaboration, with access to documents from anywhere at anytime
- Tag and categorize documents for ease of retrieval
- Share documents with internal or external users
- Maintain a detailed activity log – easy to track users who touched the document (viewed, edited, shared, etc.)
- Ease of record management compliance with audit trails, approval processes, e-signatures, version history, etc.
- Integrations with other systems make it possible to fetch data from other software used by the company
With BizPortals 365 we offer a SharePoint-based document management system as part of our business intranet. This gives us the advantage of integrating easily with numerous other business systems used by manufacturing, financial, retail, healthcare, legal, etc., industries, and SharePoint’s excellent document management features ensure the continuity of smooth business operations while improving the productivity and performance of the organization.
If you are interested in learning more about a document management system, please download our e-book: Supercharge Your Documents with BizPortals 365. If you would like to see what the DMS on BizPortals 365 looks like, you can schedule a demo or email us at email@example.com.